Sunday, July 10, 2011

Weekend Getaway!


...and a wonderful time was had by us!  We needed a break - so I have been saving up money, a little at a time.  And I'm not kidding, either - a nickel here, a dime there - whatever change I could scrounge up (or find on the sidewalk!) - and taking canned soup for lunch every day for two months.  I "casually" mentioned to D that it would be nice to take a long weekend and go somewhere - say, Friday, July 8 through Sunday, July 10 - and he agreed.  I jumped on that and asked him to pick a destination and be sure to ask for the time off.


I had several suggestions for him, but he knew his own mind - and he picked Toccoa, Georgia.  Does that name sound familiar?  It's where the Palmetto Tatters Guild held our annual tatting convention in 2010, and will again this year (and next).  I asked where he would like to stay - I could make reservations at any number of inexpensive (cheap) motels, or a hotel, or The Simmons-Bond Inn (a lovely B&B right in town).  He said whatever I thought was best, so I went for the B&B!


Elizabeth's cake models
displayed on the piano

It's a lovely old home - a 20-room mansion built in 1903, the proprietors offer five different guest rooms (each with private bath).  Breakfast is phenomenal and will keep you going until well into the afternoon!  Elizabeth does the cooking and baking, hubby Ron books guests and does general maintenance, Todd (Elizabeth's dad) served our breakfast each day ("Hello, I'm Todd, and I'll be your waitress today") with good humor and panache, and Sheila kept everything tidy.  Rounding out the staff were Elizabeth and Ron's daughters, Chloe (age 10 and a really nice kid) and Rosie (4 months and a doll-baby).


Stained-glass window
over the staircase

All the guest rooms are named after women in the family; we stayed in the "Tiffany" room.  Each room is decorated and furnished differently with lovely antique furniture (mostly purchased from auctions).  After breakfast, any guests who care to may hear some history of the house courtesy of Todd (who is quite a good storyteller).  We really enjoyed our stay - we stayed two nights with them - and plan to go again later in the year, after Tat Days but (hopefully) before snow starts to fall!


Toccoa Falls

We didn't do much in Toccoa - too blasted HOT!  The B&B is blessedly air-conditioned, though, so we mostly hung around there.  We did go to Toccoa Falls once - D took the walk and the picture while I sat inside the gift shop, admiring their cold A/C and talking about knitting with the young lady at the cash register!


One thing I did do is look through the two Mary Konior books I took with me.  I tried a few patterns, and have decided on her "Forget-Me-Not" edging.  Here is a sample I tatted out of some thread that was left on two shuttles.  I did adjust her corner to my tatting, as well as the small chains before and after the flowers.  Her original pattern is at the lower right; the long side on the left shows the changes I made.  The pattern is in A Pattern Book of Tatting, on page 28.  More on what I'm tatting it for later!

And why did we go this weekend in particular?  Because tomorrow is a special day for us, and Mondays are so busy for both of us, it might be tough for both of us to get away tomorrow.  July 11 is our 35th wedding anniversary!  Elizabeth gifted us with sparkling apple juice and an assortment of her beautifully decorated cupcakes - yummy!  It was a wonderful weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! That's a big milestone, and well worth of a good celebration. I'm so glad you could enjoy that lovely B&B. Give D my best....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    How wonderful that you managed to get away for a few days. And you even have a bit of Mary Konior to show for it! Nice!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and while in Toccoa, The Morgan's were invaded by my husband and I! On Friday early evening, I met up with them for dinner and conversations. Then mid-morning My husband and I visited them in their "Parlor". Beautiful! Then met up again for dinner. I am always thrilled to see my adopted Big Sis again! It is a pleasure always! I love you Sharren and David!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both! We're going for distance - my grandparents were married for over 70 years!

    I'm really pleased with the look of the MK pattern - and it's a really easy 2-shuttle piece, and I'm planning to tat it in green (now that I know exactly how to do it!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Karrieann (you posted your comment while I was typing mine, so yours saved above mine)! We had such a good time - Toccoa is such a neat small town - and getting to spend time with you and Douglas was the icing on the cake! Love you right back, Baby Sis and Bro-in-Law!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to you and David.
    May you celebrate many more in good health and happiness.
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (If it isn't too corny (it is), try to imagine my sentiments sung by Fred Flintstone...okay?)

    Ooohhhh! Happy Anniversary!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knp9-GY6fHE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary
    Can't wait to see you all again.
    I stopped by Toccoa Falls on my way back after Tat Days last year. It's beautiful but chilling and eerie to think you stand where many lost their lives to a flood(made my want to leave rather soon,if I'm being honest)

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on your anniversary. sounds like you had a good time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isdihara - you made my day! I haven't heard Fred & Barney and the cops singing "Happy Anniversary" to Wilma in about 40 years! Thanks for the sentiment and the link!

    Thanks, Connie - you're right, it definitely grabs you and makes you think. Can't wait to see you, tho!!

    Ladytats, it was a wonderful trip! It's less than a 2-hour drive and a pretty one at that, so it's great for a weekend get-away. It was wonderful to just relax - nowhere either of us had to be, nothing either of us had to do (and neither of us antsy about it).

    ReplyDelete