Sunday, September 12, 2010

More Shuttles!



While looking for something else, I ran across these shuttles - but isn't that the way we usually find things, most of the time, anyway?

More hand-embellished shuttles from Shuttle Lab Trends.  The backs are above, the fronts below - hard to decide which side I like better! 

Which do you prefer - a post shuttle or a bobbin shuttle? 

The first shuttle I bought, in 1968, was a bobbin shuttle - the classic "Boye" metal on the card for probably a quarter.  The little balls of tatting thread were maybe fifteen cents, and the hanky blanks, hemstitched and ready for an edging, were a dime.  Ah, the good old days - until you remember what the minimum wage was then.  The size 80 thread seemed too tiny to do anything with, so I used size 10 crochet thread - I crocheted, so I always had a lot of that thread around - to wind the bobbin.  I popped it back in the shuttle, and...now what?  I had never seen anybody tat.  The only "tatting" I had seen was the plastic doilies at the dime store! 

I learned to tat about 20 years later - with a post shuttle, one of the red "Boye" shuttles that were readily available at Wal-Mart.  I still like the red shuttles, but I've had two that popped apart!  The Clovers have been among my favorite commercial post shuttles, but since Sew-Mate hit the market, the Clover shuttles have had some competition at our house.

I'm signing off for now - my work day will start pretty early!

5 comments:

  1. Your shuttles are beautiful! Do these talented ladies sell them online? They sure would look nice in my display case... when they weren't in use!

    I prefer post shuttles. It's what I learned with. I love the hand-made shuttles, but for store-bought, Clovers are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty shuttles! My first shuttle was a metal bobbin Boye. For years that is all I used, because folks kept giving them to me. Good luck with your needle. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want your shuttles. I wonder if the Shuttle Lab Trends gals would look at doing Sew-Mates?

    I learned on a metal Boye in the mid-70's. I mostly use the Sew Mates now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have suggested Sew-Mates to Hope - I use them a lot, too. Clovers have been my little workhorses for over 20 years, and I still recommend them. I'll see Hope this weekend at our regular Guild meeting, and I'll ask her about an online shop.

    I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..Dang! Those are so dang cute!!! I want some!!!!!!
    It isn't like I need more shuttles.. except for two that would "fit" in the time period of the 1800s..... but those above are such eye candy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete